Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Swimming with Sharks and Stingrays!!!! (and more chilling out in the Caribbean)

funky shops in the main drag of Caye Caulker
Day two on the laid back caribbean island of Caye Caulker!!  and Yes!! I have been silly enough to book on a snorkling tour, which includes swimming with sharks and stingrays.  We will have to see about that!! The few of us who were venturing out onto the reef met at Mario's dive shop (shack).  Mario, short round man dressed only in a pair of baggy shorts, has to be the islands local comedian, and had a joke for everyone.  We were fitted with flippers and snorkles, and I was lucky enough to be able to get goggles with optical lenses. I was going to be able to see this time!!!

Mario and his helper guided us down to his little boat and helped us aboard and we headed to our first dive spot.  With much trepidation I donned all my gear, and jumped in.  Please let me be able to do it this time!! Amazing, the mask fitted, no water seeping in, and  not only was I able to breath, I could see as well.  Double bonus!!  Mario guided us over the reef, pointing out different fish, stingrays etc.  After about an hour we all clambered back into the boat and headed to the second dive spot.  (the shark and stingray spot).  MMmmm.  I think I will just watch a bit first.

Mario and his helper threw some food in and the stingrays all rushed in hundreds of them milling around the boat.  I watched from the side of the boat as everyone jumped in and all seemed to be having fun.  Well here goes.  In I jumped.  Well I must clarify one point the sharks were only little reef sharks, but still!! well,  the stingrays just swam around us, under us and over the top.  They were all a smoky blue colour and there were so many of them. Unfortunately, I don't have an underwater camera, so no pictures this time. It was a very cool experience.

Main street
Beach house
From here we swam at another reef before heading back to the island for more relaxing, eating and of course another visit to the Lizard Bar in the evening.  I am going to be sad to say good by to this totally chilled out and colourful island.

No comments:

Post a Comment