Friday, October 1, 2010

Post Meeting – and no not Tequila but Mezcal!! (the best part of the story)

After the meeting we all climbed back into the car to take the women from Toliman back to their homes. By now it was dark, and was very dangerous trying to drive and dodge all the potholes, so the short trip took quite a while. Each lady was dropped off and we finally arrived back at Rosalba’s house and were invited in for some food. Rosalba was someone who really impressed me. She told me that she became very interested in natural medicines when her daughter was a baby and was very sick. They tried natural medicines on the baby and she got better. This made Rosabla decide to study natural medicines in the local college. She was someone who seemed to have a very good balance in her life, family, work and church. She was very involved in the local church and committees that worked with the church for local celebrations.

We all sat in the lounge room while she plied us with delicious sweet corn, covered in lemon juice, salt and chilli. Que Rico!!! Or Delicious!!. Her husband then joined us and it was then I found out that he was a wine maker (well a maker of Mezcal) . This is made from the same plant as Tequila and here they have wineries like we have for wine, however they are for Mezcal. The inevitable bottle or should I say flask appeared after dinner. Come on Di, you should try some!!!

Of course one does not turn down the opportunity, however when Rosabla handed me a glass with a good three inches of Mezcal in it, I was a little worried. First sip!!! Wow!!! That is strong!! I am going to sleep well tonight. “Careful Diane”, warned Marco. Mind you earlier in the night he was trying to convince me that I should drive so that he could have a drink!! (joking). Paula and I slowly sipped out way through our Mezcal which had been topped up with some sprite as we enjoyed company of Rosabla and her family

It was time to hit the road again, we drove to the next town San Sebastian where we had rooms booked in the local hotel. Again, a slow and dangerous trip, in the dark dodging potholes and negotiating the curves. Paula and I were very chatty, due to the evening’s liquid refreshment. We arrived at our hotel at around 11 in the evening. I really felt sorry for poor Marco who had been driving all day. He handed me my keys and with a very large grin said “Sleep well”.

No comments:

Post a Comment