Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back to the tales about "tripping" around in Southern Mexico

My last blog described the highlights of our day at Palenque and our visit to the Mayan ruins.  The next part of our trip began with an early start. Backpacks strapped to our backs, the five of us left our hotel and made the short journey to the local bus station.  The short walk was without incident until we had to cross the main road in front of the bus station. Waiting for a gap in the morning traffic, we dodged the potholes and puddles of water and headed across the road.

Well!! as I made my way across, I noticed a uneven lump in the middle of the road, and when Aaron slipped on it a little, I remember thinking, careful!!! However, before I knew it I had fallen flat on my face backpack and bum in the air!!!   Fortunately, the local traffic managed to stop, and as my companions grabbed my arms and lifted me up, I could see the local taxi drivers shaking their heads and saying "gringa loca".  Nursing a bruised pride, (plus lots of other grazed and bruised bits) I limped the rest of the way across to the Bus stop.  Backpacks stowed underneath the Bus, we climbed on board the coach, making ourselves comfortable for the long trip from Chiapas through to the state of Yucatan to the east coast of Mexico and the town of Merida.

Merida is known as the "White City" (due to the large amount of limestone and white paint used on buildings in the city.  It is a charming, bustling colonial city which has been centre of Mayan culture for hundreds of years.  Once we had booked into our hotel, Steve and I set out to explore its narrow cobble stone streets.

Pancho's
We were immediately charmed by the city, and spent a couple of hours checking out the numerous artisan shops, delightful churches and the main plaza that was packed with Mexicans celebrating the Christmas-New Year holiday.


We met the others at the famous Pancho's Restaurant.  The atmosphere, service, drinks and food was excellent.  It was a great way to finish of a long day.  The evening was finished off when we were entertained by one of the waiters preparing the famous Mayan flaming coffee.  Check this link to see how it is made.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVWG9v9U81M.
The faint aniseed taste of the rich coffee, tickled my taste buds and helped me to forget the collection of bruises, scratches and sore spots were starting to emerge on the right side of my body, after my recent tripping episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment