Sunday, September 5, 2010

Quieres un amigo!!

A short but amusing story. On Friday, I finished Spanish classes and caught a bus into the centre of town, and then started to walk up towards the University Campus as I was going to meet a friend for a cup of coffee. The street ( Calle Alcalde) that runs up to the University is not the prettiest of streets. Six lanes of traffic, in an area that is a little rundown. It is quite difficult to negotiate the crowds of people waiting for buses on the narrow footpaths, and at the same time watch every step you take, so that you don't trip on the uneven surface or fall into a hole.

So, I decided to walk up one street back from the main drag for a change. Change of scenery and more room to walk. The first 5-6 blocks were very pleasant, wider paths, road blocked off to form a sort of a mall, people sitting in small local restaurants having their lunch. Then!! I was wandering along, not paying much attention, when I heard "Quieres un amigo?",(do you want a friend?).

I looked up and it was a couple, young men sitting in a doorway. I just ignored them and continued on my way. "Quieres un amigo??" What!! Another group of young men? What is wrong with them. Are they short sighted!! Can't they see I am an old lady!!! Then I decided to take a proper look around, further up the street I could see an number of groups of men, no women, hanging out.

This must be what you do at 2.00pm Friday afternoon, hang out and hassle anyone who walks by. Quieres un amigo?? Come on guys!! Get over it. Giving them my best black look, it was time to make a quick diversion to the main street and continue on my way up to the University. Life in Guadalajara can be interesting at times.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe they just wanted to be your friend? Who wouldn't want to be your friend eh? Stel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. no the body language didn't give that impression

    ReplyDelete